Last Saturday I went to BeautyConLA and holy crap it was overwhelming. Since 99.9% of the population doesn’t understand what a beauty convention is or why one would exist, let me explain. According to the website “BEAUTYCON IS A FASHION AND BEAUTY COMMUNITY + CONFERENCE FOR THE INTERNET’S MOST INFLUENTIAL BEAUTY AND FASHION ICONS AND THEIR EVER-GROWING NUMBER OF FANS. BEAUTYCON HAS ALREADY TAKEN OVER LA, LONDON + NEW YORK AND NOW, WE’RE HEADING BACK HOME, TO BEAUTIFUL LOS ANGELES! #BEAUTYCONLA” It consisted of a bunch of booths for makeup, hair, and skincare (mostly) products, and had panels of internet/youtube/instagram famous beauty gurus and the like as well as some quickie classes/makeup demonstrations. I had actually planned on seeing some of the panels, but it was so insanely busy and confusing in the convention I never actually made it into one.
So when we left off on Lilly Ghalichi’s Tips and Tricks – Part One we had a full face of foundation, a bronzed smokey eye, two pairs of false lashes, and now it is time to beat our faces with TONS of super dramatic highlighting and contouring. Here was the final look we are trying to achieve:
Before the next step, you want to use a makeup remover wipe to remove any eye shadow fallout under the eye. Continue reading “Lilly Ghalichi’s (and Kim Kardashian’s) Tips and Tricks – Part Two”
One thing about online dating that can be frustrating is finding people who actually want to go on a date! There’s only so many “Happy Hump Day!” messages one can get before becoming cynical. There are plenty of time wasters out there (both male and female) and if you want a pen pal they will chat with you about nothing at all for ages. If you want an actual date here are a few of my tips:
1. Guys: Don’t ask right away!! There is about 0 personal info on Tinder so if you ask right away you are saying that you don’t really care what the two of you have in common or if you click, you just want to see if you are physically attracted to them right away in person or if you will “feel chemistry”. Asking right away is a huge turn-off for me because it’s almost like the guy is playing a numbers game and just trying to go on as many dates as possible. You should spend at least a few minutes going back and forth in a conversation first before deciding if you want to ask them out! Guys who do this also tend to blame the girls on Tinder saying that none of them actually want to go on a real date, when in reality they are pushing all the girls away with their eager and non-discriminating approach to asking girls out. On a deeper level this makes me wary that a guy is going to objectify me. I’ve had plenty of seemingly nice, normal guys objectify me while dating. They constantly bring up aspects of this image of me that they want me to be (in very subtle ways) vs. actually getting to know the person I really am. I think I can and will write an entire post about this!
2. After you’ve had a little back and forth banter, know what the person does for fun, if they live in a geographically desirable location relative to you (I think this is pretty key in LA), what they spend most of their time doing, and have a glimpse of their personality, bring it up! I’m old fashioned when it comes to this and I almost never ask guys out. I will, however, ask them if they’ve ever gone out with any girls on Tinder, what they think about online dating, talk about my interest in going out on a real actual date and spending time together, etc. This is the time for them to take the hint and ask you out. If they do not after a 2-3 days, or if a girl gives you a weird excuse and then won’t commit to a different plan, or if the person becomes a ghost then we come to our next tip:
3. Know when to hold ’em and know when to fold ’em! There are plenty of people on Tinder who like the idea of dating new people, but who aren’t actually open to it right now (like me)! These people have good intentions and are hoping that they’re going to find someone who interests them enough to bring them back into the dating world, but are not all in yet. If you feel like you have taken the time to get to know someone, have some things in common, seem romantically interested in eachother/are flirting and the guy doesn’t ask you out in under a week- move on! Block him/unmatch him if you have to. If they say they want to “grab drinks” or “hang out this weekend” and then fail to make a real plan, move on! Listen to Jay-Z “On to the Next One” and keep it moving. There are plenty of other great guys and girls out there and even though you think you may have found your perfect Tinderella, if they do not want to meet up then it is impossible for you to have a real relationship. Let go of your fantasy and find a real life human being who you can actually kiss!
Lilly Ghalichi had a live makeup tutorial using one of her many professional makeup artists Bria Valencia on 8/15/14 and I watched it for Blushing in Hollywood research purposes 😉 If you don’t know Lilly, she is a reality TV star from Bravo’s Shahs of Sunset where she was referred to as Persian Barbie. Lilly is not just a pretty face she is also an attorney, a fashion designer, a (very successful) business owner, and a blogger as well. Lilly is from Houston (but lives in LA) and as a native Texan she loves big hair and big glamour. She typically rocks a very full face, several pairs of false eyelashes, and lots of contouring. She even mentioned in the class that she hates makeup artists that only use a little bit of foundation and pinch your cheeks for a “natural look” because she wants to look like she is wearing makeup.
She started with skin care and she swears by Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub ($6)
This was the first product that I immediately added to my shopping list. She said she needs a good scrub because she wears so much makeup and I’ve been feeling like I need something to give me a deeper clean as well. She then went on to say she loves Murad skin care products and you can read more about which ones here on her blog.
On to the MAKEUP Continue reading “Lilly Ghalichi’s Tips and Tricks – Part One”
Ah one of my least favorite date invitations right behind “When are we gonna hang out?” And “Let’s go (insert sporty or outdoor activity that involves me sweating) as one of our first dates!” Now this invitation may seem innocuous enough especially if you’ve been out of the dating scene for a while, but let me explain why I don’t like it: Continue reading “No, I Don’t Want to Grab a Drink”
Here’s how I contour my fair skin for a very chiseled look! Contouring can give you an instant nose job, cheek bones, get rid of a double chin, make your forehead smaller, and more!
Hello Beauties- so I’d say it’s been a little less than 2 years since I learned how to properly contour. Before that I used to think why would I do that? I don’t need to put on stage makeup to go out? I just want to look tan so I’ll just put bronzer all over my face! I have since learned the error of my ways and while I’m not the World’s Best Contour Artist I can show you my tips.
So let’s start here: Why do we contour?
1. When you only wear foundation your face looks flat and loses dimension. Your face is not all one color and making it so is unnatural. Your face has shadows and some parts get more sun than others so you need to put that back onto your face after you’ve neutralized it all with one shade of foundation.
2. It changes the shape of your face enhancing good features and minimizing any problem areas. The place where most people think to put contour is under their cheek bones to “carve out” their face or make the cheek bones look more prominent which is enhancing a good feature. It can also be used to make your forehead look smaller and more round (less pointy), make your jaw line look more defined (look thinner), and make your nose look more narrow or more round or shorter.
Countouring vs. Bronzing Continue reading “How I Contour My Face”
Here’s some tips for a glam, but comfortable look to wear to a concert.
If you know me, then you know that I am head over heels in love with my queen Bey, Mrs. Beyonce Knowles-Carter. Last weekend I had the absolute privilege of seeing her live in concert and it was everything I dreamed it was going to be and so much more. Although there are only a few dates left, I thought I’d post about what I wore and my tips since they can be generalized to other tours such as the beautiful Rihanna who is coming to LA this weekend. I also want to post this because let’s get real, I googled this very question before the concert.
The pressure I felt to look amazing and up to Beyonce standards for the concert can only be compared to disarming a bomb with a gun pointed to my head. This is why I procrastinated until the last minute. Like every event in my life, I spent 2+ hours on my makeup, and 20 minutes each on my hair and outfit.
What to write in that little blurb? Here’s some things to consider not writing:
1. “The baby in the picture is NOT MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’M A PROUD UNCLE OK STOP ASKING!!!!” – Woah calm down.
2. “I guess everyone is putting their heights? That’s like a thing? So here’s mine 5’5” – The reason why you need to put your height is because when you’re crouching down to pet a tiger or taking a shirtless bathroom selfie I can’t really get a gauge as to how tall you are/how much I’ll potentially be towering over you. As much fun as it is to try to figure out how many Axe body sprays tall you might be from the bathroom pic and convert that, I’d rather you take the detective work out of it and just tell me.
3. Ok those are all the tips you get because if you’re inspired to go on and on about how great you are or how much money you have or how much you hate sluts PLEASE do so we all know which way to swipe.
Welcome (back)! I want to talk about my favorite products and things for July and since I have a lot to say about them let’s just get into it!
1. The Original Beauty Blender & Solid BlenderCleanser ($28 for both) – I had been using a Sonia Kashuk bo-bo (definition: cheap version) beauty blender for a while thinking it was just as good.. Then Obama came to town and the traffic was so bad I couldn’t go on without a quick snack and a pop into Planet Beauty. I bought the original Beauty Blender (BB) with the solid cleanser because last time I owned a BB I rubbed it on a bar of Dove soap thinking it would be the same as the cleanser and ruined it, whoops! The beauty blender is just so much softer and bouncier and better at applying the product if you can, I recommend splurging for the real thing. Get it here Continue reading “July 2014 Favorites and Beauty Wish List”
This was a real conversation I had with someone several months ago…
Tip#1 Have some self-awareness. If this dude replied and said he was referencing the Jeopardy skit from SNL that would have been one thing. If you’re a grown up you can be silly, but avoid anything too immature (i.e. 420, 69, Barbie, sexy etc.)
Tip#2 Don’t use the same username that you use for other non-dating websites! This was a big mistake that I made and some guy messaged me and let me know that if you google it, a lot of personal info comes up. Think: your youtube history, those comments you left on a grad school forum, your gamer profile, etc.
Tip#3 If you’re totally out of ideas just go for something simple like your first name and some numbers. Or a gender neutral hobby (I would never make one like “MakeupGirl” because no dude is interested in that).
The video I’m referencing: