Bidi bidi bom bom! MAC has launched a limited edition line inspired by the late great singer Selena Quintanilla. The MAC Selena collection has it’s own special purple packaging and includes 5 eyeshadows, a liquid eyeliner, mascara, 3 lipsticks, a lip gloss, a powder blush duo, and a face powder brush. It’s available Thursday October 6th in store! Continue reading “MAC Selena Collection is Here!”
Attention everyone, this is not a test! Colourpop, the incredibly affordable American made beauty brand is having 20% off their entire sale today only (4/30/16 and ends 5/1/16 at 7am PST) with free shipping on orders of$30 or more! That means their Lippie Stix, Lippie Pencils, and eye shadows are now only $4 each! Their bronzers, highlighters, and blushes are now only $6.40 each! They also recently launched brow pencils and brow colour, creme gel liners (in pot and stick eyeliners), and Ultra Satin Lip colors which are $4-4.80 each. I decided to just go for it and get a little of everything so I can try it out and talk about it on the blog! Here’s what I’m ordering: Continue reading “Colourpop Sale!”
Attention everyone, this is not a test! theBalm is on HauteLook and most of the products are 50% off! This sale ends on 1/20/16 so do not wait!!! Go now!! theBalm is sold at places like Frends Beauty in LA and the big fancy Walgreens on Sunset Blvd, but otherwise it can be somewhat hard to find. I mentioned it in my 2015 Makeup Favorites post because two of my faves came from theBalm and I had some honorable mentions in there as well. theBalm has excellent quality, fantastic pigmentation, and adorable and creative packaging, what else could you need?? Without further ado here’s some recommendations and reviews!
My Favorite Products from theBalm
How the hell do I use a highlighter? You may be asking yourself. Well friend, using either your finger or a blush start with a small amount because this stuff is PIGMENTED! Put some on the inner corners of your eyes, down the bridge (center going from top to bottom) of your nose and a little extra on the tip of your nose, put some on your brow bone (draw a line following directly beneath your eyebrow), put some on the high points of your cheeks (almost to your temples under your eyes), put some on your cupid’s bow (right along the ridge of your upper lip) and put some on the center of your bottom lip. You don’t have to put it on all of these places, but these are some options that will have you look like a shimmering glowing goddess. You can also just use this like you would an eyeshadow.
Mary-Lou Manizer by theBalm
Mary-Lou Manizer by theBalm (normally $24 on sale for $12): This stunning highlight shade is a favorite of the beauty community for a reason. It’s a shimmering honey color that can be used as a highlighter or as an eyeshadow. This color looks great on the fairest to medium skin tones.
Cindy-Lou Manizer by theBalm (normally $24 on sale for $12): This is also a highlighter that looks gorgeous on top of a pink or coral blush. It has more of a pinky-peach duo chrome that looks gorgeous when light hits it. I’ve been wearing Cindy-Lou even more than Mary-lou lately!
theBalm Bronzer/Contour Powder
Bahama Mama Bronzer/Shadow/Contour Powder
Bahama Mama Bronzer/Shadow/Contour Powder by theBalm (Normally $20 on sale for $10): My absolute favorite contour color! This shade has more of a neutral undertone so it won’t make you look orange! This powder is VERY PIGMENTED so again, start slowly and work up until you get the desired effect. This shade looks great on fair to medium-dark complexions. I also use it all over the lid as a matte-brown eye shadow or sometimes as a crease color. I use it all over the face as a bronzer as well when I want to look DARK!
FratBoy Blush/Shadow by theBalm (Normally $21 on sale for $10.50): This is a great peach shade with a hint of pink and subtle shimmer. This shade definitely packs a punch (highly pigmented) and is great for a good glow. I LOVE their packaging “So many men, so little time…” how perfect, right?
INSTAIN Blush in Lace
INSTAIN Blush in Lace by theBalm (Normally $22 on sale for $11): Looking for a blush as crazy intense as Lace is this season on the Bachelor? Well look no further! Holy PIGMENT. This blush is BRIGHT as heck so only use it if you’re looking for an intense and long-lasting effect. This blush is for bold girls!
theBalm Girls Lipstick in Ima Goodkisser
theBalm Girls Lipstick in Ima Goodkisser (Normally $17 on sale for $8.50): First of all, I love how these lipsticks are a cute little play on Bond girls. This lipstick is moisturizing and has decent pigmentation, but is by no means completely opaque. This color is a nice soft-shimmering coral and has a vanilla-mint scent. I like this lipstick and the color, but I think it tends to get on my teeth more because it’s so moisturizing. Take that info with a grain of salt since I feel like I get lipstick on my teeth 95% of the time that I wear it ha!
Schwing Liquid Eyeliner in Black
Schwing Liquid Eyeliner in Black by theBalm (Normally $17 on sale for $8.50): My favorite liquid eyeliner! Very pigmented and very black so you won’t have to keep going over and over your line! This is long lasting and fast drying and a matte black color. I highly recommend this!
Products that I didn’t like as much:
Give Crease a Chance – All-Over Eye Shadow/Eye Blending Brush (Normally $26.50 on sale for $13.25): This brush didn’t really wow me especially for the price. The quality wasn’t that great and the brushes are enormous for eyeshadow. I say skip.
NudeDude Eyeshadow Palette by theBalm (Normally $36 on sale for $18): This palette is very cute, but I rarely find myself reaching for it. I also find that it has a lot of fall out. If I didn’t already have way too many eye shadow palettes, I would get the Meet Matt(e) Nude palette because the beauty community LOVES that one and it has a nice range of shades and great pigmentation.
Products I bought today from theBalm
I picked up BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer in Light because my skin is THIRSTY! And this one is supposed to be good, a Bahama Mama Bronzer/Contour/Shadow Powder for my sister, CabanaBoy blush which is a plum rose with a subtle shimmer because I just read Dita Von Teese’s book and want to be her, and timeBalm Face Primer because I need a new primer and I like how this one has antioxidants! I was tempted to get Balm Desert bronzer, Overshadow Eye Shadow in No Money, No Honey (but I already have like 12 gold glitters), and Read My Lips in Pop! But I stayed strong and resisted!! Hehe.
Here’s my HauteLook link which will give me a $20 credit if you sign up and make a purchase and will further fuel my makeup addiction 😉 Going through my emails it looks like HauteLook had theBalm today 1/18/16, 9/25/15, 5/1/15, 1/23/15 so every January, May, and September so DON’T MISS THIS 50% OFF THE BALM SALE ON HAUTELOOK YOU WILL REGRET IT!!
This Kylie Jenner inspired overdrawn lip is Rimmel Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner in Eastend Snob
With some MAC Angel lipstick on top to make it less intense.
So now that I’ve had a chance to use my purchases from the 2014 Sephora VIB sale I wanted to give a quick review on them and let you know what I think. I especially wanted to get this up because Sephora sent out another perk for VIB members which is $20 off your purchase of $50 or more and the holidays are coming up so I’m sure you want to know what gifts are worth it.
1. Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Foundation Primer ($39) – So far I’m happy with this little guy. The product is a little thick so you have to warm it up on your finger tips before you apply it. You then want to kind of push and roll your fingers into your skin to best cover your pores. When I’ve applied it and look in the mirror there’s no huge “WOW where have my pores gone!?” reaction, but it feels silicon-ey and smooth and blurs your face a tiny bit. The main thing I like about it is that I think it controls my oily skin without making my face too dry which is a delicate balance. My foundation maybe looks slightly better on top of this vs. without it, but it’s not anything that a slower more intentional application of the foundation couldn’t replicate or beat. It maybe keeps my makeup on a tiny bit longer as well, but again no huge day and night transformation. It’s supposed to last for up to eight hours, but I usually have my makeup on for about 12-14 hours per day. Overall I’d recommend this if you’re oily, if you’ve liked Smashbox primers in the past, and if you aren’t counting on it to change your life. It would also be good if you’re sweating or somewhere that’s humid because it’s supposed to be resistant to those things.
2. Sephora Cream Lip Stain in 07 Dark Berry ($13) – I got this because I want to be Samantha aka ssssamanthaa on Instagram from Batalash (see video below), but instead I look like I’m failing miserably at trying to look like Lorde. I’ve only worn this around the house to try it because it is BOLD as hale. It smells really nice like the Stila Stay All Day Lip Colors a nice cake scent. It stayed pretty well and I don’t remember my lips feeling too dry and crispy. I hope I’m brave enough to wear it out into the world one day, but we’ll see. The color is really cool and I’d recommend it if you want to try something new and fun I just don’t know if I’m cool enough to rock it yet.
3. L’Occitane Voyage En Provence Set ($39) – Ugh I haven’t used all of the products in this set so far, but so far I’m super disappointed. I had very high expectations for this especially for the famous She Butter Ultra Rich Body Lotion and it was nothing special. The scent was whatever and it’s not super thick or long lasting or curative to very dry skin or anything like I was expecting. I would not recommend this and I’m wary of buying more products from L’Occitane now even though so many people are obsessed! I’d recommend this to no one because I hate it and I’m pissed. The more I think about it and write about it the more I think wow why am I not returning this to Sephora I don’t need products to travel with so desperately that I need to keep this $39 set!
4. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup in color 2.0 ($39) – I knew this guy was not going to be the perfect fit because it’s a luminous light weight virtually invisible foundation and deep down I’m a full coverage kind of girl. It’s very thin and fluid-like and reminds me of the bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation in that it’s luminous and nice for a day that you want to look natural and take a break from full cake face mode. This would probably work better for me at night because when I wear these luminous foundations during the day I get oily and then they’re a mess, but the problem is that I want full coverage when I go out at night. This does have build able coverage though which is good. I need to experiment with it a bit more to figure out how it can work best for me. I wish it had sunscreen in it. I’d recommend this to someone that wants to look younger (a more sheer, luminous foundation will make you look younger than a matte full coverage one), someone that already has pretty good skin and doesn’t need a ton of coverage, and someone with dry, normal, or combo skin.
5. Urban Decay Good Karma Optical Blurring Brush ($25) – This is a vegan brush that was developed to work with the Naked Skin foundation and overall I like it a lot. It blends out the makeup quickly and evenly. I have used it with both the super thin Naked Skin foundation and the super thick BECCA foundation. I’m back to using my tried and true Beauty Blender, but when I mix it up I love using this guy. I’d recommend it to someone looking for a good foundation brush to use with liquid foundation. I think the price point on this is great and very reasonable for the quality.
6. BECCA Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme in Buff ($44) – YASSSSSSS hunny. I am absolutely loving this foundation and I’m using it everyday and at night for going out as well. It is super full coverage and gives you a very flawless finish. I normally use a generous amount of foundation so when I accidentally put two whole pumps on my beauty blender and then went to blend it out and I was wearing a serious mask (which was fine for that day, but meant I don’t need to use as much in the future because it’s so pigmented). This foundation is easy to blend but the only thing you have to look out for is once it dries (relatively quickly in 1-3 minutes) it is DRY and SET so don’t try to blend it out again because you will just mess it up. This foundation lasts me all day and/or night long and keeps me relatively matte without drying me out too much. Once it’s on it doesn’t feel super heavy or cakey which is nice for how full coverage and pigmented it is. I spent at least an hour trying to figure out online which color to get in this and while I like to think I picked the best match I do definitely have to blend it very well down my neck and blend very very well if I’m wearing my hair up. This foundation color is also super yellow which I like because I think it balances out my redness, but I know not everyone likes super yellow foundation. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a full coverage foundation with great coverage and staying power who has normal to oily skin. This is my favorite thing I bought. This price tag is a little high, but I’m hoping that since it’s so pigmented that I will use less and it will last me longer (fingers crossed!) Here’s a pic of me wearing it:
&& let’s keep it real here’s the unedited photo: Continue reading “Reviews of My Sephora VIB 2014 Purchases”
Check out the Fall 2014 Beauty Trends!
Today I went to the Nordstrom Fall Beauty Trends event and had such a fun time! I learned a ton and had a full face of high end makeup put on me and got lots of tips to share with you all. I will do a thorough re-cap of that very soon. Tonight I wanted to put up a quick post of the fall beauty trends for 2014:
1. Berry lips
Nars Audacious Lipstick in “Charlotte” $32: Whew this is a pricy one I know, but the new NARS lipsticks are supposed to feel amazing on the lips and be long lasting.
MAC Lipstick in Rebel $16: I love this color I think I might snag it soon or get it through Back 2 MAC. I just really want to spice up my lips with something a little bit different. Continue reading “Fall Beauty Trends”