Sephora’s twice a year VIB sale is back! This sale occurs every spring in April/May and again in the fall in October/November. The discount for this year’s spring sale is:Continue reading
Happy Earth Day! We all want to have a healthy thriving planet that is going to be able to sustain us for generations to come. The amount of decisions you have to make in order to be “green” or environmentally responsible can be overwhelming. The good news is that every small change you make adds up.
With beauty bloggers showing off enormous IKEA ALEX Vanities full of makeup and hair products and the inundation of ads we see everyday, it’s hard to resist buying more beauty products than we actually need. How can we do our part when it comes to makeup?
Related Post: My DIY IKEA ALEX Makeup VanityContinue reading
It feels like just yesterday we were shitting the bed in Cartagena, but the ladies of Real Housewives of New York City are back!
In this post I’ll be introducing you to the new housewife, saying bye bye to Carole Radziwill, giving AGELESS by Ramona updates, talking about Tinsley Mortimer dancing in a strip club in WEST Palm Beach, discussing the nuances of Palm Beach vs. West Palm Beach, and rounding up all of the Real Housewives of New York City Beauty Secrets Blog Posts!
From the previews it looks like RHONY season 11 will be the usual drinking, flirting with young men, screaming at each other on girls trips, rehashing old problems, fighting at restaurants, JOVANI, and traveling to South Florida. All the things we love!
When Does Real Housewives of New York City Season 11 Start?Continue reading
Exciting news for lovers of both Real Housewives and makeup- Erika Jayne is releasing a limited edition makeup collection with the makeup brand Too Faced! The collection is called Pretty Me$$ (which is also Erika Jayne’s Instagram handle @theprettymess). I’ve done an extensive post all about Erika Jayne’s beauty secrets including her makeup and skin care so be sure to check that out too!
Erika Jayne x Too Faced Pretty Mess Makeup CollectionContinue reading
I am an avid consumer of beauty guru content on YouTube, IG, SnapChat, you name it and I’m watching it daily. I was so excited when I heard NikkieTutorials was coming out with her own palette with Too Faced because I love her aesthetic which is basically super pasty girl in drag queen glam with extra glitter, my kind of girl. Her palette is launching next week on Monday August 15th at Ulta, Sephora, Sephora Canada, and the Too Faced website. Here’s what you get for $56 Continue reading
Rejoice beauty lovers and try-ers of new things, Sephora has it’s very own monthly subscription box! The box is called Play! By Sephora and it started September 2015, but the caveat is that you can’t just sign up and get it, you have to be on a wait list first (womp womp). It took me about 2-3 months to get off the wait list (they email you and let you know when that happy day comes). I haven’t received my first box yet, but I can’t wait! The box has about 5 samples along with a Play! book that explains what they are and how to use them. You also get a card called a Play Pass that you can bring into Sephora to get a free personalized tutorial and 50 bonus Beauty Insider points (which means even more samples!) when you make a purchase. The box is totally reasonable at $10 a month plus sales tax and shipping is included. Hurry up and sign-up for the wait list for Play! By Sephora so you can get in on the next box! Also a little hint, when you get the email that says you’re off the wait list and you click the link to get the box it looks like you’re signing up for the wait list again, but don’t worry that’s the correct box to enter your email address into. Here’s what the May 2016 Play! By Sephora box looked like: Continue reading
Attention everyone, this is not a test! Colourpop, the incredibly affordable American made beauty brand is having 20% off their entire sale today only (4/30/16 and ends 5/1/16 at 7am PST) with free shipping on orders of$30 or more! That means their Lippie Stix, Lippie Pencils, and eye shadows are now only $4 each! Their bronzers, highlighters, and blushes are now only $6.40 each! They also recently launched brow pencils and brow colour, creme gel liners (in pot and stick eyeliners), and Ultra Satin Lip colors which are $4-4.80 each. I decided to just go for it and get a little of everything so I can try it out and talk about it on the blog! Here’s what I’m ordering: Continue reading
MAC eyeshadows are absolutely legendary for good reason. They are great quality, come in a huge range of amazing colors and shades, and they have excellent pigmentation. I got an email alert today saying MAC has lowered their prices on their pre-made eyeshadow palettes and had to share. This is a big deal because MAC makeup generally does not go on sale. Plus these palettes are absolutely gorgeous and cheaper (and likely much more pigmented) than, for example, an Urban Decay Naked eyeshadow palette.
At MAC you can buy eyeshadows either in individual eyeshadows that come with their own container for $16 each or you can buy individual eyeshadow pans that you can put into your own palette for $10 each. These MAC palettes Eyeshadow x 9 and Eyeshadow x 15 come pre-made so you can’t switch out the colors. The eyeshadows are also have the size of the normal pan (0.02oz each vs 0.04oz for individually sold eyeshadows) and come with the outer palette packaging so you don’t have to buy that separately. I think the size of the shadows is a bonus because a MAC eyeshadow will last you FOREVER. I literally have some that are 10 years old and yes I know they’re expired and hell no I’m not throwing them out. They had been selling the Eyeshadow x 9 palette for $40 and it’s now 20% off at $32 ($55 value). That is the cost of 2 eyeshadows! But you get 9!! The MAC Eyeshadow x 15 palettes were selling for $85 and are now 24% off at $65 ($160 value). Also be sure to read to the end to find out how to get even more $$ off!
Here’s my picks: Continue reading
Attention everyone, this is not a test! theBalm is on HauteLook and most of the products are 50% off! This sale ends on 1/20/16 so do not wait!!! Go now!! theBalm is sold at places like Frends Beauty in LA and the big fancy Walgreens on Sunset Blvd, but otherwise it can be somewhat hard to find. I mentioned it in my 2015 Makeup Favorites post because two of my faves came from theBalm and I had some honorable mentions in there as well. theBalm has excellent quality, fantastic pigmentation, and adorable and creative packaging, what else could you need?? Without further ado here’s some recommendations and reviews!
My Favorite Products from theBalm
How the hell do I use a highlighter? You may be asking yourself. Well friend, using either your finger or a blush start with a small amount because this stuff is PIGMENTED! Put some on the inner corners of your eyes, down the bridge (center going from top to bottom) of your nose and a little extra on the tip of your nose, put some on your brow bone (draw a line following directly beneath your eyebrow), put some on the high points of your cheeks (almost to your temples under your eyes), put some on your cupid’s bow (right along the ridge of your upper lip) and put some on the center of your bottom lip. You don’t have to put it on all of these places, but these are some options that will have you look like a shimmering glowing goddess. You can also just use this like you would an eyeshadow.
Mary-Lou Manizer by theBalm
Mary-Lou Manizer by theBalm (normally $24 on sale for $12): This stunning highlight shade is a favorite of the beauty community for a reason. It’s a shimmering honey color that can be used as a highlighter or as an eyeshadow. This color looks great on the fairest to medium skin tones.
Cindy-Lou Manizer by theBalm (normally $24 on sale for $12): This is also a highlighter that looks gorgeous on top of a pink or coral blush. It has more of a pinky-peach duo chrome that looks gorgeous when light hits it. I’ve been wearing Cindy-Lou even more than Mary-lou lately!
theBalm Bronzer/Contour Powder
Bahama Mama Bronzer/Shadow/Contour Powder
Bahama Mama Bronzer/Shadow/Contour Powder by theBalm (Normally $20 on sale for $10): My absolute favorite contour color! This shade has more of a neutral undertone so it won’t make you look orange! This powder is VERY PIGMENTED so again, start slowly and work up until you get the desired effect. This shade looks great on fair to medium-dark complexions. I also use it all over the lid as a matte-brown eye shadow or sometimes as a crease color. I use it all over the face as a bronzer as well when I want to look DARK!
FratBoy Blush/Shadow by theBalm (Normally $21 on sale for $10.50): This is a great peach shade with a hint of pink and subtle shimmer. This shade definitely packs a punch (highly pigmented) and is great for a good glow. I LOVE their packaging “So many men, so little time…” how perfect, right?
INSTAIN Blush in Lace
INSTAIN Blush in Lace by theBalm (Normally $22 on sale for $11): Looking for a blush as crazy intense as Lace is this season on the Bachelor? Well look no further! Holy PIGMENT. This blush is BRIGHT as heck so only use it if you’re looking for an intense and long-lasting effect. This blush is for bold girls!
theBalm Girls Lipstick in Ima Goodkisser
theBalm Girls Lipstick in Ima Goodkisser (Normally $17 on sale for $8.50): First of all, I love how these lipsticks are a cute little play on Bond girls. This lipstick is moisturizing and has decent pigmentation, but is by no means completely opaque. This color is a nice soft-shimmering coral and has a vanilla-mint scent. I like this lipstick and the color, but I think it tends to get on my teeth more because it’s so moisturizing. Take that info with a grain of salt since I feel like I get lipstick on my teeth 95% of the time that I wear it ha!
Schwing Liquid Eyeliner in Black
Schwing Liquid Eyeliner in Black by theBalm (Normally $17 on sale for $8.50): My favorite liquid eyeliner! Very pigmented and very black so you won’t have to keep going over and over your line! This is long lasting and fast drying and a matte black color. I highly recommend this!
Products that I didn’t like as much:
Give Crease a Chance – All-Over Eye Shadow/Eye Blending Brush (Normally $26.50 on sale for $13.25): This brush didn’t really wow me especially for the price. The quality wasn’t that great and the brushes are enormous for eyeshadow. I say skip.
NudeDude Eyeshadow Palette by theBalm (Normally $36 on sale for $18): This palette is very cute, but I rarely find myself reaching for it. I also find that it has a lot of fall out. If I didn’t already have way too many eye shadow palettes, I would get the Meet Matt(e) Nude palette because the beauty community LOVES that one and it has a nice range of shades and great pigmentation.
Products I bought today from theBalm
I picked up BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer in Light because my skin is THIRSTY! And this one is supposed to be good, a Bahama Mama Bronzer/Contour/Shadow Powder for my sister, CabanaBoy blush which is a plum rose with a subtle shimmer because I just read Dita Von Teese’s book and want to be her, and timeBalm Face Primer because I need a new primer and I like how this one has antioxidants! I was tempted to get Balm Desert bronzer, Overshadow Eye Shadow in No Money, No Honey (but I already have like 12 gold glitters), and Read My Lips in Pop! But I stayed strong and resisted!! Hehe.
Here’s my HauteLook link which will give me a $20 credit if you sign up and make a purchase and will further fuel my makeup addiction 😉 Going through my emails it looks like HauteLook had theBalm today 1/18/16, 9/25/15, 5/1/15, 1/23/15 so every January, May, and September so DON’T MISS THIS 50% OFF THE BALM SALE ON HAUTELOOK YOU WILL REGRET IT!!
I recently watched an episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver about Fashion that focused on where fast fashion aka inexpensive and trendy clothes are made, who makes them, and what kind of conditions they are made in (spoiler alert: they’re mostly made by children in developing countries in terrible and unsafe conditions for little pay). This inspired me to do a post about makeup and beauty products that are made in the USA. It was SO hard to find information about this!!
The best way to find out where a product is made is to look at the packaging which usually has the country of origin or where the products was made. The problem comes when you don’t have the packaging yet or are seeking out American made products and then the research becomes a bit more difficult. Lucky for you all I went through my makeup collection and I emailed a ton of these companies to find out where they manufacture their makeup to help you out!
Makeup Made in the USA
Here’s a few companies that make their cosmetics in the USA that you should check out:
Update: As of 8/16/17 I’ve started to add (CF) to the list to signify Cruelty Free brands. I’m in the process of going through all of the brands I already have listed and updating whether they are cruelty free or not 🙂
ColourPop – Made in the USA, Cruelty Free, and Vegan
If you haven’t heard about ColourPop yet, they have fantastically pigmented lipsticks, coordinating lip pencils, and eyeshadows that are high quality and super affordable! They come in tons of amazing colors and I really feel that this brand comes up with some of the most interesting, trendy shades on the market. Plus, at these super affordable prices you can afford to experiment! This company is also cruelty free and vegan. I love that they always post swatches on different skin tones too! Their products are available online. (Source)
Related Post: ColourPop Lippie Swatches and Reviews
theBalm – Made in the USA, Cruelty Free
I LOVE this brand. I’m actually going to do a post about my favorite products from theBalm at some point because I recently realized I use a decent amount of their products on a regular basis/it’s one of my most used makeup brands! Kyle Richards from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is a big fan of their blush. (Source)
Related Post: My Favorite Makeup from theBalm
Makeup Geek – Made in the USA, Cruelty Free
I love this company and the owner Marlena! Affordable, high quality products made by a company lead by a kick ass woman who is passionate about what she does. If you haven’t heard of Makeup Geek yet, their eyeshadow quality is very similar to MACs at a fraction of the cost . I also love their pigments and glitters and I’m dying to try their new foiled eyeshadows which have been getting great reviews. (Source)
LA Splash Cosmetics – Made in the USA, Cruelty Free
This company is all over Instagram with their Smitten Liptint Mousse which is a a velvet matte liquid lipstick that is waterproof, smudge-proof, and won’t transfer or fade. They also come in cool colors like blue and green. These get awesome reviews, yet another product I need to try ASAP! (Source; Source)
Paula’s Choice – Made in the USA, Cruelty Free
I recently mentioned that I’ve been using a Paula’s Choice Resist Youth-Extending Daily Fluid SPF 50 and it’s been wonderful. I also really love Paula’s website Beautypedia for reviews that use evidence based research instead of opinions when discussing products. (Source)
Related Post: I Didn’t Think I Would Get Skin Cancer Either
More makeup made in the USA
List of Brands that make their makeup in the USA
- 100% Pure (CF) (made in CA)
- AJ Crimson Beauty (CF) (source: email with CS 8/17/17)
- Alamar Cosmetics (CF)
- AmazingCosmetics (source: email with CS 6/1/15)
- Aromi (CF) (source)
- Au Naturale Cosmetics (CF) (source)
- Beauty Bakerie Cosmetics (CF)(source: email with CS 8/16/17)
- BeautyBlender (CF)(source)
- Bellapierre Cosmetics (CF) (made in CA)
- Besame (CF)(made in LA! source: email with CS 5/25/17)
- Black Moon Cosmetics (CF)(source: email with CS 5/21/18)
- Black Opal (CF)(source: email with CS 5/21/18)
- Clove + Hallow (CF)(source)
- Coloured Raine (CF) (source: email with CS 3/21/16)
- Concrete Minerals (CF) (source: email with CS 6/27/18)
- Dose of Colors (CF)(source)
- Emani (CF)(source)
- Everyday Minerals (CF)(source: email with CS 9/9/18)
- Flower Beauty by Drew Barrymore (CF)(source)
- Glossier (CF)(source)
- Graftobian (CF) (source)
- Gressa (CF) (made in Seattle)(source: email with CS 9/8/18)
- Hush + Dotti (CF) (source)
- JD Glow Cosmetics (CF) (source)
- Jeffree Star Cosmetics (CF)(made in CA! source: email with CS 8/7/17)
- Kett Cosmetics (CF)(source: email with CS 5/21/18)
- KKW Beauty (CF)(Kim Kardashian West Beauty) (source)
- Kosas (CF) (made in CA! source)
- Kylie Cosmetics (CF)(source: email with CS 1/26/17)
- Laura Lee Los Angeles – (CF) USA (made in LA! source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Lime Crime (CF)(source: chat with CS 3/23/16)
- Makeup Gourmet
- Makeup Monsters (CF) (source)
- Mehron (CF)(source)
- Melt Cosmetics (CF)(made in LA! source: email with CS 3/22/16)
- Merle Norman (CF)(source)
- Mineral Fusion (CF) (source)
- Noyah (CF)(source: email with CS 5/20/18)
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (CF)(source)
- Ofra Cosmetics (CF)(source: email with CS 5/16/18)
- Perfekt (CF)(source)
- Pinkie Swear (CF)(source)
- Plain Jane Beauty (source: email with CS 8/16/17)
- Red Apple Lipstick (CF)
- Reina Rebelde (CF) (source)
- RMS Beauty (CF)(source)
- Rosebud Perfume (CF)(source: email with CS 3/22/16)
- Studio Direct Cosmetics (source)
- Sugarpill Cosmetics (CF)(source)
- Temptu (CF)(source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Urban Decay (CF)(source: email with CS 5/12/15)
- Vapour Organic Beauty (CF) (source)
- W3ll People (CF) (source)
- Winky Lux (CF)(source)
Companies that make most of their makeup in the USA
Some cosmetics companies can’t claim they made 100% of their makeup in the USA, but make most of their makeup in the USA. A lot of companies outsource to Europe for products like eyeliner.
- Ben Nye – (CF) “Nearly all are manufactured in Los Angeles” (source)
- Gabriel Cosmetics – (CF) Made in the USA except pencils are made in Europe. (source: email with CS 9/9/18)
- Gerard Cosmetics – (CF) “Yes, our products are made in the USA with the exception of our lip liners and our eye liner which are made in Germany.”
- Girlactik – (CF) All product is created and manufactured in the US except their mechanical eyeliner (source: email with CS 3/22/16)
- Glo Skin Beauty – (CF) “The majority of products are made in the USA (California, Colorado and Arizona). One exception here, some of our lip products are manufactured in Germany.” (source: email with CS 5/17/18)
- Hynt Beauty – (CF) Most made in the USA (NJ) except eye pencils which are made in Italy. (source: email with CS 9/10/18)
- Ilia Beauty – (CF) “Yes! Our new Mascara is made in Italy. Packaging is in China, but all goods are from the good ol’ US of A.” (source: IG DM 5/20/18)
- Jane Iredale – (CF)Most made in USA except their eye and lip pencils are made in the Czech Republic (source; email with CS 6/4/15)
- Josie Maran – (CF) “Our products are manufactured in the United States, and our Argan Oil is fair trade” (source: email with CS 8/16/17)
- Jouer – (CF) Most made in USA, some made in Europe and Canada (source: email with CS 8/7/17)
- L’Oreal – All of the L’Oreal I own says made in the USA
- Mary Kay – Most made in USA, some made by third-party manufacturers to supplement production (email with CS 3/27/17)
- Maybelline – “Most products sold in the US are manufactured here”
- Philosophy – “Most of our products are manufactured in the US” (source: email with CS 3/28/16)
- Prestige Cosmetics – (CF) “Most of our makeup is made in the USA & Czech Republic. We manufacturer in NY & distribute out of Florida. (source: email with CS 9/10/18)
- Revlon – Most products made in USA (at flagship manufacturing facility in NC)
Makeup Not Entirely Made in the USA
Here’s a list of companies whose makeup is not solely made in the USA. For this list I was trying to just figure out where they were made (if it’s not the USA). It’s not an exhaustive list of every country the company makes products in. If you want to find out where a specific product you want to buy is made and don’t have access to the packaging to check, I recommend contacting the company directly.
Here are where cosmetics from some other companies are made:
- Alima Pure – (CF) USA, Italy, China (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Almay – USA, China, Czech Republic, Germany & their goal is to have all of their products made in their North Carolina factory by 2016 according to replies from Almay to people pissed about their Simply American campaign (source)
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – (CF) USA, Korea, China
- Anna Sui Cosmetics – Japan, China, Taiwan (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Ardency Inn – (CF) Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, USA
- Avon – China (source)
- Bare Minerals/Bare Escentuals – USA, Canada, Switzerland, Germany, brushes made in China (source: email with CS 6/8/15)
- BECCA – (CF) USA, Italy, Germany
- Benefit Cosmetics – France
- BH Cosmetics – (CF) China
- Billion Dollar Brows – (CF) Mexico
- BITE Beauty – (CF) Canada
- Blinc – (CF) USA, Japan, China, Germany (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Bobbi Brown – “Various facilities worldwide” (source: email with CS 4/14/16)
- Catrice Cosmetics – (CF) Europe and worldwide (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Chantecaille – (CF) Europe (source: email with CS 5/21/18)
- Charlotte Tilbury – (CF) Switzerland and Italy (source: email with CS 8/7/17)
- Ciate London – (CF) Italy (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Clinique – USA, Canada, “globally made” (source: email with CS 8/7/17)
- Coty – China
- CoverFX – (CF) Canada, Italy
- CoverGirl – (CF) USA, “globally made”
- Dior – France
- ELF – (CF) China
- EM Cosmetics – (CF) USA, Japan (source: email with CS 5/21/18)
- Essence – (CF) Poland
- Estee Lauder – Belgium
- Eyeko – (CF) S. Korea
- Face Atelier – (CF) Canada
- Fenty Beauty by Rihanna – (CF) Italy
- Fitglow Beauty – (CF) Canada
- Fresh – France
- Giorgio Armani – France
- Gosh Cosmetics – (CF) Italy
- Honest Beauty – Italy, Czech Republic, China (source: email with CS 5/16/18)
- Hourglass– (CF) USA, Europe
- House of Lashes – (CF) Korea
- HUDA Beauty – (CF) Germany, Italy, China (source: email with CS 12/13/17)
- Illamasqua – (CF) Germany, Australia, Italy, Thailand
- Inglot – (CF) Poland
- Innisfree – Korea
- IT Cosmetics – (CF) China, Korea
- Jafra Cosmetics – (CF) Mexico (source)
- j.Cat Beauty – (CF) Globally made, based in LA (source: email with CS 5/14/18)
- Jordana Cosmetics (CF) Italy, USA
- Juvia’s Place – (CF) USA, China (source: email with CS 8/9/17)
- Kat Von D – (CF) Italy
- Kevyn Aucoin Beauty – (CF) China
- KIKO – (CF) USA and Europe
- Kjaer Weis – (CF) Italy (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Koh Gen Do – (CF) Japan
- Kryolan – (CF) Germany
- LA Girl – (CF) China
- lilah b. – (CF) Italy
- Laura Geller – (CF) Italy (source: email with CS 5/16/18)
- Laura Mercier – (CF) USA, Japan, Europe
- MAC – HQ in Canada; Canada, Italy, Belgium
- Makeup Atelier – (CF) Manufacture own products in Portugal (source: email with CS 9/10/18)
- Make Up For Ever – France
- Mally Beauty – (CF) Italy, Germany
- Milani – (CF) Italy, Germany
- Milk Makeup – (CF) USA and Europe (source: email with CS 1/26/17)
- Morphe – (CF) HQ in LA; China
- NARS – Canada
- Natasha Denona – (CF) Italy
- Neutrogena – HQ in LA; USA and globally made
- NYC – China
- NYX – (CF) HQ in LA; Made in Germany, Taiwan, China, S. Korea
- The Ordinary – Canada
- Pacifica (CF) – USA, China
- PAT MCGRATH LABS – Italy
- Physician’s Formula – (CF) USA, Canada, Europe, Japan (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- Pinch of Colour – (CF) South Korea (source: email with CS 5/21/18)
- Pinky Rose Cosmetics – (CF) USA, China
- Pixi Beauty – (CF) USA, UK, Korea (source: email with CS 9/7/18)
- PUR Cosmetics (CF) USA, China “formulated in the USA”
- Real Her – China (source: IG DM 5/21/18)
- Rimmel London – Germany
- Saint Cosmetics – (CF) Canada (source: IG DM 5/20/18)
- Sappho New Paradigm (CF) Canada (source: email with CS 9/11/18)
- SEPHORA Collection – Europe- France, Italy, Germany
- Shany Cosmetics – (CF) USA, China
- Sigma Beauty – (CF) China
- Sisley Paris – Italy
- Smashbox – (CF) HQ in LA; USA (Los Angeles) and China
- Smith & Cult – (CF) USA, Canada, Italy (source: email with CS 9/11/18)
- Stila – (CF) USA, China
- Stowaway Beauty – (CF) Korea, Italy
- Tarte – (CF) USA, Canada, China, Italy, Korea
- Tom Ford – Canada
- Too Faced – (CF) Canada
- Veil Cosmetics – (CF) Canada (source: email with CS 9/8/18)
- Viseart – France
- Wander Beauty – (CF) USA and Korea (source: email with CS 5/15/18)
- Wet N Wild – (CF) China
- Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) – France
- Zuii Organic – (CF) Australia
More Information on Makeup Made in the USA
While doing research on this topic I learned a lot. Here’s some things to keep in mind.
California Transparency in Supply Chain Act
“On January 1, 2012, the California Transparency in Supply Chain Act will go into effect in California. This act requires retail sellers and manufacturers doing business in the state to disclose the efforts they are making to ensure their supply chains are free from slavery and human trafficking in effort to eradicate slavery and human trafficking from product supply chains.”
I wouldn’t say the manufacturers are totally transparent at this point, but because of this if you contact them they should be able to tell you where your products are made. I’m not saying you should only buy makeup made in the USA, but it’s good to be a conscientious consumer.
Made in the USA Label Requirements
Procter & Gamble let me know that “Please note, there is no federal or state requirement to label “Made in USA” for products that are made in the USA (except for automobiles, textile, wool, and fur products.) It is strictly optional for manufacturing companies to include this on their label.”
Made in the USA as a Marketing Tool
Another hint- manufacturing in the USA is now more important to consumers so if a company makes their products solely in the USA, it’s usually a lot easier to find that out because they put it in big, bold letters.
Why can’t companies just use a Made in the USA label?
You can read more about Why “Made in USA” labeling is so complicated by Heesun Wee on CNBC.
More Resources for Cosmetics Made in the USA
Here’s some more websites with lists of cosmetics, makeup, and beauty products made in the USA.
Clean Beauty Made in the USA – This is a long list of all kinds of beauty and personal care products made in the USA.
American Made Beauty Brands – Even more!
Cosmetics Made in China
People have lots of reasons why they do or do not want to purchase cosmetics made in China.
Pros of Manufacturing Cosmetics in China
The cost of manufacturing is much cheaper in China vs. Europe or USA so brands can keep the cost of goods down if they outsource.
Cons of Manufacturing Cosmetics in China
When you outsource manufacturing to countries with different economic structures it can sometimes (but not always!) lead to poorer quality control or poor working conditions. Poor quality control and working conditions can occur in any country and it’s up to the brands to ensure they are doing regular inspections and being transparent to their consumers about the conditions for workers.
Animal Testing for Cosmetics in China
Another major controversy about cosmetics made in China is related to animal testing. Companies that sell cosmetics in China sometimes have to show animal testing results to prove safety. Not all cosmetics that are made in China are sold in China though, so just because something is made in China does not guarantee it has been tested on animals.
“PRC” means Made in China (People’s Republic of China)
Sometimes cosmetics companies will put “PRC” instead of “Made in China.” I’m not sure if this is a marketing distraction because of consumers negative associations with products made in China or what.
Asian Cosmetics Standards
Thank you so much for reading! If you want some more information on being a mindful consumer check out my blog post Earth Day How to Recycle Makeup
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Read more about what that means and how it works on my Disclosure page.