I recently posted a video of me using the NYX Lavender Steel Duo Chromatic Highlighter on Instagram and wanted to share it here on the blog! I heard about this from Cameran on Southern Charm, but it took me a while to wrap my head around a purple highlighter and finally buy it! BTW I bought it on Amazon because I could never find it in stores.
NYX Lavender Steel Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powder Highlighter
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Read more about what that means and how it works on my Disclosure page. Thank you so much for your support!
The NYX Duo Chromatic Illuminating Powder Highlighter in Lavender Steel is duo chrome meaning it looks different color at different angles and when light hits it. It has a pink shift when the light hits it. It will not appear super purple on your cheeks unless you apply a ton.
Video of How to Apply NYX Lavender Steel Duo Chromatic Highlighter
View this post on Instagram
✨Highlighter✨ 💫It’s made to bring attention to your best features, but can be a little intimidating if you’re new to it. ✨I apply it with my fingers or a fan brush (this one is @elfcosmetics so maybe $3) ✨ Always start with a light hand bc you can always add more. If I put on too much I’ll pounce my @beautyblender with left over foundation over it to tone it down 🌟 Colored highlighter like this pretty lavender steel shade from @nyxcosmetics work great as blush toppers giving different dimension to the cheek color in different lighting. I normally wear peach blush but with the lavender highlighter I picked a more complimentary Barbie pink shade. ⭐️ This highlighter is part of my new #SouthernCharm Drugstore and Affordable beauty favorites which is up on the blog now ⚡️Do you have any favorite highlighters or tips? Share them with us in the comments 🤗 or let me know what you’d like to see next!
How to Apply a Colored Highlighter
- I apply my colored highlighter after I’ve applied foundation, concealer, bronzer, and blush. I usually apply a little loose translucent powder to my T-zone after I’ve applied the highlighter.
- I used a fan brush from Elf to apply the highlighter over my blush. I like to use a fan brush because it applies the product to a small area, but diffuses it so it’s not too harsh and can blend into the other products.
- If you use your fingers be sure to gently tap the product along the tops of the cheekbones instead of rubbing it on which can move your foundation.
- Always start with a very tiny amount first! After you’ve dipped the brush in highlighter swipe it across the back of your hand to get the excess off before applying. You can always apply more!
Where to Apply Highlighter
- Top of the Cheekbones– I apply this purple highlight on the tops of my cheeks overlapping the top 1/4-1/2 of my blush (depending on my mood)
- Brow Bone– I apply a small amount above and below the brow bone.
- Nose– I apply a small amount in a thin line down the bridge of my nose and along the tip.
- Cupid’s Bow– the top center of the top lip, but don’t go too crazy or you’ll have a shiny mustache.
- Eyes– I sometimes apply this with my finger on the inner corners of my eyes or it would be a gorgeous eyeshadow or eyeshadow topper as well.
Complimentary Blush Color
I used a pink blush to compliment the lavender highlighter. This was theBalm INSTAIN Long-Wearing Powder Blush in Lace.
My favorite blush brush is the Real Techniques Blush Brush. I’ve been using this one for years! It’s affordable and great quality.
You can shop the products through ShopStyle here:
Amazon Influencer Storefront
Or you can find them in my Amazon Influencer Storefront under “As See on Instagram”
Be sure to follow me on Instagram to see more quick and easy beauty tutorials like this!