Like most people I never win anything, but I was lucky enough to win a pair of tickets to the NYXFACEAWARDS 2014 on Twitter! I brought my good friend and fellow beauty blogger Molly aka Girl Get Glamorous. You have to check out her blog it’s really amazing and I learn tons from it. Molly came super glammed up with a classic black winged eyeliner and red lip (MAC Riri Woo which she swears by) for the event and looked amazing:
This event was a blast and the planners really did an excellent job making sure it was fun and that there wasn’t any boring down time. The only down time we really had was before we were let into the event which saws fine because Molly and I can gab about makeup and hair and boys for hours. The event was held at the Nokia Club at LA Live in downtown Los Angeles on August 22, 2014. The point of the contest is to find The National Beauty Vlogger on YouTube of the Year and the prize is $25,000. The contestants had made it through the four challenges and went from top 30 to top 6 and they were flown into LA to create their final video entry which premiered at the awards show. The contest was open to any beauty blogger 15 and older and 3 of the finalists were teenagers! Here’s a picture of the finalists: Continue reading NYXFACEAWARDS 2014→
Today I have something a little different for you – a video tutorial! And this one is not of me, but my beautiful friend Marci. When I saw my sister in July she told me that Marci had taught her the secrets to the perfect pony and of course I HAD to know and I also wanted to share them with you all. So without further ado here it is:
Umm I don’t know about you, but I’ve been doing ponytails my whole life and these tips are game changing. Next up is how to make your own sea salt spray/surf spray in case you don’t want to spend $26 on 4oz. of Bumble and Bumple Surf Spray. You’ll need:
1/4 cup of Mediterranean coarse sea salt – You can buy this at the grocery store or get it on Amazon
A squirt bottle
A tablespoon of hair gel (any kind)
2 cups boiling water
Put the salt into the 2 cups of boiling water, add the hair gel, put it in the spray bottle once it’s cooled slightly, and spray on damp hair. You can adjust the amount of salt you use based on how much hold you’d like. The more salt you add the more textured your hair will come out. Pretty easy, right? You can get more hairspiration on Marci’s Instagram @Marcibeth87 or you can have her personally work her magic on you at Juliet Salon in Delray Beach, FL.
Another way this video brought me joy was after it received 4 whole views on YouTube I got this message:
A friend came to me this week with a question. He has been dating a great girl for 2 months and recently she confessed to him that she had to de-friend him on Facebook because he had so many pictures of his (recent) ex-girlfriend and the ex-girlfriend was so beautiful it was making her feel insecure. He assured her that the ex is in the past, he’s with her because he wants to be with her and she has nothing to worry about.
My 2 cents: I told him that while it’s not an ideal scenario at least she told him how she was honestly feeling instead of keeping it inside and acting weird in other situations where he would have no clue what was wrong (which the majority of girls would do in my opinion). I told him if it’s in the past and he doesn’t care, just delete the pictures! Save them in a hidden folder if you want the memories down the road, but for now take them off Facebook. If this relationship doesn’t work out because of this or for any other reason it’s not going to help him in future relationships to have tons of pictures of his ex on Facebook anyway. This is a time when they are trying to build trust and if he really doesn’t care he should be more flexible and more sensitive to her feelings.
I’ve been informally polling my friends on their thoughts on this and another said that this is a red flag and that you should be cautious dating someone this insecure and jealous. They said that they have pictures up of their exes and it’s just memories of the past and they are friends with their exes now so it would be weird if they took all the pictures down. I kind of think it’s a minor flaw in the grand scheme of things if the person is great in many other ways. Most of my girl friends say they do snoop Facebook to look at exes out of curiosity and while sometimes they feel insecure if they’re particularly beautiful, overall it just satisfies that curiosity and allows you a glimpse into your partners past without interrogating them or seeming too interested. Some even go as far as looking at exgirlfriend’s friends to see more pictures of said ex-girlfriend.
While scrolling through my own pictures I realized that I have pictures with a few exes, but they are buried within tons of selfies and pictures with friends and it’s hard to tell whether I’m standing next to a male friend or an ex. When I scrolled through the pictures my guy friend who had this issue in the first place’s pictures I realized that he had 70+ of this ex (they had dated for a few years) with him, with groups of friends, just by herself, etc. in his “Photos” aka no digging through old albums because he was tagged in all of these. Thinking back though, this guy showed me lots of photos in real albums of him as a kid and growing up the very first time I met him so maybe he is just a very sentimental person who likes to hold onto visual memories in the form of pictures?
Most importantly, he and I want to know what you think!! After a break-up do you delete pictures of exes? Untag? If you’re dating someone new and they made a comment would you delete the pictures of your ex? Would you think they were insane or it was a red flag that they were asking? Does it depend on if you really like the person a whole bunch vs. you’re not too sure about them? Please comment and let us know!!!
I realized today that I hadn’t posted an Instagram picture of my makeup in a while and I had nothing else to do for the rest of the day so I decided to play with my makeup. I’ve been thinking about being a mermaid for Halloween for a few weeks now and in the back of my mind I was also thinking about how my LA Splash Cosmetics Crystallized Glitters would finally be put to good use with a mermaid look. This look could also be a fairy or a fancy alien. I think that playing around with makeup is a fun way to get creative and a good way to remind yourself of all the products you have but aren’t using on a regular basis. I wanted to share how I did it because it might give you some ideas for your Halloween makeup:
My best friend is obsessed with psychics. Recently she bestowed upon me the most LA invitation of all time- would I like to come to a psychic healing a cocktails event that will be at the 9200 Sunset building (the same building that is the location to celeb hot spots Boa and Soho House) and it will be filmed for an upcoming reality show. It sounded like fun so I was in. Before going I did a quick search online of the psychic Jusstine Kenzer and found that she had a 5 star rating on Yelp (which I regard very highly) with 62 reviews. I was impressed. I arrived to the event super early and while I was waiting for security to clear me up to the floor of the event, I’m pretty sure I saw Gerard Butler. It was either him or some other tall, handsome looking alcoholic. They buzzed me up and I was one of the first of about 40 well dressed pretty young girls who attended this event (with about 5 miscellaneous dudes). We took our seats and Jusstine announced that she would be both answering questions about what it’s like to be a psychic and how she gets her abilities as well as our personal questions about our future.
She began by taking the questions about being a psychic which I found interesting. She basically said her dad had some pseudo-psychic abilities that he kind of practiced with her growing up (i.e. he used to guess his customers played the piano, etc.). She then said in her 20s she moved into an extremely haunted house in the Haight Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco. She said she used to hear things banging around in the kitchen and wake up to all the pots and pans being lined up…creepy. Once she moved out of that place she visited a psychic to make sure that all of the spirits weren’t following her. She also has a thing against gypsy psychics and psychics that have neon signs which I guess stems from a long standing beef/turf war, I’m not really sure. All she said was that a gypsy took her for a bunch of money and then she somehow got the money back, but sadly she did not elaborate as to how this might have happened. She mentioned that she started out doing readings at a Halloween Horror Nights-esque event and the first people that came in for readings were gypsies who tried to trick her by asking about their dead friend as if they were alive. Jusstine immediately knew their friend was dead and viola the gypsies knew she was the real deal. She also said that she had the feeling that she had the gift for a long time before finally giving in and doing readings full-time. She said she can turn on and off the ability so it doesn’t just pop up when she’s on a date with someone new. She described it as her spirit guide connecting with whoever she’s reading’s spirit guide and they talk and she is given the info to pass along.
The way Jusstine spoke made me think she was really part-psychic part-therapist. This makes sense because according to her Yelp she is both a psychic and a Life Coach. She said an interesting bit about how when she gives readings that have bad or that have potentially bad parts in them she hopes that she is wrong, or that the person needed to hear that info in order to change the path they are on to avoid the problem. She talked a lot about connecting with your spirituality or higher power in order to clear out the bad things from the past and move on in the future. She also talked about how our past lives influence our current one just like how our past/our childhood affects us constantly in our choices. She had previously told my BFF in a private reading that the two of us (my BFF and I) met in a past life as vaudevillian circus performers. We had a lot of fun guessing which one of us was probably the bearded lady.
So people start asking their questions and this is LA so everyone is wondering about the future of their career. Lots of producers and actors asking which path they should take. My best friend begged me to ask about my love life so I gave in and jumped in line for my quick little reading. I asked Jusstine “what do you see in the future for my love life?” and she asked if I was seeing anyone right now or had questions about a specific person right now which I answered (truthfully) “no”. She then said I’m blocked right now and not in a good place to go out and meet someone because like attracts like so I will end up with someone else who is also emotionally unavailable. This made total sense to me and I agreed I do feel somewhat blocked especially after having this bad experience. This is also another way that I felt like she was similar to a therapist. She went on to say that I’m also having some kind of issues with my dad that are influencing my dating life. While I have plenty of issues, I wouldn’t include “daddy issues” in my own personal top 10 at least. I have a pretty solid relationship with my dad, but it’s not perfect. I wasn’t sure exactly what this meant, but I couldn’t rule it out completely as false or incorrect. She also told me that she sees me taking a more serious relationship step when I’m 32. She didn’t say if that meant I would get engaged or married at 32, but it kind of seemed like it was something in that ballpark. That also makes sense because I just turned 28 so it’s unlikely that I will be getting engaged or married before I’m 32. Overall I enjoyed my reading.
Another guy asked a question about his love life and mentioned Jusstine’s CD “Heal Your Relationship Space” and how it really helped him. Jusstine explained that people are always telling us we have to clear out the old bad stuff in order to newer and better things, but they never quite explain how exactly to do that and that is what this CD is all about. I was totally interested because I agree I have no clue how to clear out my past issues and move on, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to buy the CD that night. I might download it and if so I’ll let you all know how it is. You can learn more about the CD or download it instantly for $25 here. I’m a total sucker for self help.
What do you think about my reading? Has a psychic ever told you something about your love life that came true?
After I went to the NYX Face Awards recently I knew I wanted to attend more beauty events ASAP so I hit the internet and found a few. If you’re interested in them you can find them on websites for departments stores such as Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus, Sephora, and MAC. The events are typically free and sometimes there’s champagne or gifts which is always fun. This past Saturday I went to Sephora for their Perfect Brows Event. The event was nationwide and Sephora had product specialists/makeup artists from the famous Anastasia Beverly Hills in store to show people how to fill in their brows. I was happy when I saw this because I already use Anastasia products to fill in my brows (I use the Brow Wiz daily and recently got the Dipbrow Pomade) and I needed a little help as to how to use the pomade. Now when I posted this photo on Instagram and Facebook what you might not have noticed was that my brows were each done a different way:
The first thing I was concerned about when I walked in Sephora was if my brows were the correct shape. My brows are sisters not twins and I’m always unsure where to make them stop in the middle. She showed me how to find this info out. What you do is hold a makeup brush straight up and down on the side of your nose and that is where you want to stop:
Ok so this week I wanted to mix it up a little bit and since I’ve already given you suggestions on how to go from chatting to going on a real date on Tinder I figured I’d give you some suggestions on what to do on said date. These ideas aren’t just for first dates they work for any couple or they’re great activities to do with your friends too. They can also be generalized to other cities outside of LA. I have a lot of ideas for October/Halloween so these are pretty September-specific.
Here’s my August 2014 favorites! If you want to see last month’s click here. I wish they were flashier looking, but at least you know I’m posting them because they do WERK hunny!
1. Glisten & Glow HK Girl Top Coat ($6.95 here ) – I found out about this top coat from one of my new fave YouTubers CoffeeBreakWithDani and she owns a very large cabinet filled with nail polish so I knew I could trust her. This top coat is super fast drying, very shiny, and will definitely keep your polish from chipping! I used to like the cult favorite Seche Vite, but that one gets so thick and goopy! I really like this one.
2. House of Lashes Eyelash Adhesive ($8 here) – So I wish I would have been able to test this more than once so I could give you a more thorough review, but the one time I did use this glue OMG it was everything. Even though I made a post all about how I apply false lashes, I tend to shy away from them when I have to have my face on for a long day because they make my eyes water and then all my eye makeup comes off in the corner of my eyes. This also loosens the glue and they will start to lift in the corners. My eyes also tend to get red and irritated when I wear falsies. This glue however is hypo-allergenic and the glue is latex-free which I think is the key it would make sense that I have a light latex allergy and that is what is causing me problems. Unlike the Duo Lash Adhesive there is an actual applicator with this one so you can use the right amount. It’s also not as thick and goopy as the Duo can be. All in all I wore these lashes for about 10 hours and it was the least annoying falsies have ever been for me I had 0 problems.
3. Merkury Innovations Bluetooth Shower Speaker With Mic ($24.99 here) – This thing is very easy to use and a nice way to entertain myself while grooming (which feels like it takes longer and longer everyday…). I like to listen to podcasts or my latest iTunes playlist.
4. Boots No7 Quick Thinking 4-in-1 Wipes ($6.99 for 30ct here) – You may remember these from my Shopping Haul Sunday post they were recommended to me by one of the Beauty Concierges at Target when I asked her which were her faves. These wipes are super GENTLE they don’t irritate my skin or eyes. They’re fragrance free and have witch hazel and other fancy ingredients to help improve your skin. The one downside of these wipes is that despite what it says, they do not remove waterproof mascara. I’m sure they could if I scrubbed and pulled out all of my eyelashes, but I’m just going to stick to my eye makeup remover that doesn’t do that instead. So for my night time routine I use one of these wipes to take off my face makeup and eyeshadow, I use an eye makeup remover to get off my Tammy Faye amount of mascara, then I wash my face 1-2x with soap (if I’m wearing a ton of makeup I’ll wash twice to make sure I got it all) with a face cloth. I’m not mentioning the specific products right now because they will be in a post in the future!
5. SalonCare Shampoo & Conditioner ($5-6 for a GALLON!! here) – Ok take this recommendation with a little grain of salt because I am someone that never notices a difference when I switch shampoos and conditioners unless the conditioner really sucks and my hair is difficult to untangle post-shower. My hair dresser uses this stuff exclusively. Everytime I see her she asks me what products I’m using and I start listing them and she’s like “no no no you don’t have to spend all that money shampoo and conditioner should be less than $10”. I really liked the products she used on me (how do hairdressers get my hair so much cleaner than I ever can!?!) and she actually washed out 2 empty Starbucks Frappuccino glass bottles and filled them up with the shampoo and conditioner for me to try a while back. She told me all the girls love her shampoo and conditioner and that it’s super cheap at Sally’s so I finally went and picked it up. I actually looked around for reviews to see what other people thought of it, and everyone on the Sally’s website used it to groom dogs lol. I use it to groom my human self and it works no better or no worse than anything I’ve used in the past and it’s super cheap. I use a funnel to put it into empty shampoo and conditioner bottles I have lying around my shower and I don’t dilute it at all. Some people online didn’t like how the shampoo didn’t foam/bubble up and for this I would just recommend washing your hair a second time. My hair dresser has also recommended adding 1 tablespoon of baking soda to 8oz. of shampoo to make a clarifying shampoo and she swears by coconut oil from Sally’s for extra moisture and to help make your ends look nicer. I use either It’s a 10 or a leave in conditioner to detangle my hair.
Are you surprised I didn’t have more makeup products? That’s probably because it was so hot I barely wore makeup this month!! Some of my non-beauty favorites this month: Continue reading August Favorites→
So in case you haven’t noticed, I have started posting on a schedule with new posts every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday so today’s is a little bonus post! I was on the hunt for some awesome statement necklaces at a really great price and I looked at so many sites before finding Fabuluxe Jewels. The reason I wanted some big gaudy jewelry is because a) I’m tacky and b) it really frames your face, hair, and makeup in photos. Plus I just like sparkly things! Here’s some examples: Continue reading Fabuluxe Jewels Haul→
When I first heard about the concept of Grouper I was intrigued, but instantly was turned off by it. Grouper is a social club that sets up drinks between 2 groups of friends: 3 guys and 3 girls. I immediately thought, but what if the guy I like likes one of my friends? That always sucks when that happens! You also get no choice as to who you are set up with so it’s a totally blind group date (except you know what your 2 friends look like because you invite them). You also have to pay for Grouper and I have never used a dating site I had to pay for. Grouper costs $20 per person plus a 10% tip for your server which covers their introduction and concierge service and a free first round of drinks at the bar they select for you (the concierge part).
Grouper is actually not claiming to be setting you up on a date and people who sign up don’t have to be single (but God would I be annoyed to go out with a group of guys who were all in relationships wtf). They are planning a night for you with the perfect girl to guy ratio and giving you ideas on how to make it fun. These ideas include preparing “two truths and a lie” before the date for a fun discussion or playing the iPhone game “Phrase Party”. I will say that going on a Grouper definitely takes a lot of the pressure off of the conversations you’re having and you feel less like you’re on a job interview and more like you’re hanging out with friends which is nice. Going out with friends also forces you to be a more authentic version of yourself because your friends might call your ass out or tell the embarrassing stories you might have tried to avoid which does help you get to know each other much faster. It also forces you to actually make a plan instead of getting stuck in chatting or messaging back and forth purgatory.